Instant Pot Roast Beef
6 servings, Egg & Dairy Free
2 tbsp olive oil
2.5 - 3 lbs beef (Eye of Round or Top Sirloin)
Kosher salt and black pepper (for seasoning the beef)
1 onion, sliced
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup beef stock
2 tbsp regular soy sauce
1.5 tbsp all-purpose flour
3 tbsp water
1. Press "Saute" button to "Sauté More" to heat up Instant Pot. Wait until it says "HOT" (~8 mins). Add 1 tbsp olive oil into the Instant Pot. Ensure the whole bottom is coated. Pat dry the beef with a paper towel. Generously season one side of the beef with kosher salt and black pepper. Place the beef roast in Instant Pot (seasoned side face down), then brown for 4 mins. Generously season the other side with salt and black pepper, then brown this side for 3 mins and30 secs. Finally, brown the end 2 sides for 2 mins and 30 secs (no need to add more seasoning). Set aside the browned beef roast.
2. Add 1 tbsp olive oil to the Instant Pot. Add in sliced onions, then saute for 3 mins. Add in 2 bay leaves, ½
tsp dried rosemary, and minced garlic, then saute for 30 seconds until fragrant.
3. Pour 1 cup beef stock in Instant Pot, then deglaze by scrubbing all the flavorful brown bits off the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Give it a quick mix.
4. Add in 1 tbsp regular soy sauce. Give it a quick mix. Place steamer rack in Instant Pot, then layer the browned beef on the steamer rack. Close lid, then turn Venting Knob to Sealing position. *For 2.5" Thick Beef: Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 3 minutes + 25 minutes Natural Release, for 3.25" Thick Beef: Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 3minutes + 30 minutes Natural Release (Make sure your Instant Pot is in the "Keep Warm" mode during Natural Release)Open the lid, then measure the temperature of the roast's thickest part with a meat thermometer.
5. Once the roast beef has reached 120°F, remove and set aside on a chopping board. Loosely wrap the roast beef with aluminum foil & let it rest for 8 - 10 minutes. While the roast beef is resting, bring the beef sauce to a simmering with “Saute” function. Taste the gravy and decide if you need to add another tbsp of soy sauce or not. Mix 1.5 tbsp all-purpose flour with 3 tbsp water. Mix flour mixture into the beef gravy one third at a time until desired thickness. Taste and adjust seasoning with more salt and black pepper if necessary.
6. After resting, slice your roast beef against the grain. For Round of Eye Roast: slice it as thin as you can (deli-style roast beef). For Top Sirloin Roast: slice it into steak size. Serve this classic Instant Pot Roast Beef and Gravy with your favourite side dishes.