Instant Pot Daal
10 servings, Egg &Gluten Free
1 tsp olive oil
2-3 tsp butter
1 onion, diced
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
½ tsp turmeric
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp mustard powder
2 tsp curry powder
¼ tsp chilli powder
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
1 cup red lentils
4 cups stock or broth (water can also be used, just add additional salt as necessary)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Set Instant Pot to sauté, then add oil, butter and diced onions.
2. Cook until softened and just turning golden, 3-4 minutes.
3. Add spices and toast for roughly one minute, until very fragrant.
4. Add lentils, mix to coat with oil, spices and onions.
5. Add broth, stir to combine.
6. Place lid on Instant Pot, making sure steam valve is closed, and set manual pressure for 12 minutes.
7. Allow natural pressure release for at least 12 minutes; the longer you allow them to come back to normal pressure, the creamier they will be.
8. Add salt and pepper to taste.
9. Serve with rice, quinoa, bread, or simply on their own.