CRANBERRY ORANGE MUFFINS
1/2 cup whole milk
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups white sugar
2 large eggs
1 tbsp orange zest
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 425 F, line 12 cup muffin tray with paper liners. Set aside.
2. Add lemon juice to milk. Stir and let stand 5 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together well the flour, baking powder and salt.
4. If using frozen cranberries, do not thaw. Toss with 1 tsp flour before adding to batter. Starting with frozen cranberries will add 5-8 minutes to your baking time.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk/lemon juice, the vegetable oil, sugar, eggs, orange juice, vanilla and orange zest. Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients, mixing just until combined and no flour is visible. Fold in the cranberries.
6. Divide the batter amongst the 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle tops generously with sugar.
7. Bake at 425 F for 5 minutes, then reduce the oven temp to 375 F and bake for another 13-16 minutes if you started with fresh cranberries, or 18-22 minutes if you started with frozen cranberries. Bake until lightly golden and a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pans. Remove from pans and store in an airtight container.